Life is just so busy. Sometimes it feels like we don’t even have time to eat.
Have you ever sat down to eat and realized 2 minutes later that you completed your meal? Maybe you even felt a little winded eating that fast.
Food is one of life’s greatest pleasures and should be enjoyed slowly and deliberately.
Chewing your food allows you to appreciate and savor the taste of the delicious food. By taking your time and noticing the nuances of your meal – the texture of your tomato the creaminess of the mozzarella in your Caprese salad you will also feel more fulfilled and satisfied.
Taking the time to slowly chew your food also plays a very important role in your digestion.
Chewing breaks down your food from large pieces into smaller, more manageable pieces in order to be easily digested.
It also makes it easier for your intestines to absorb the nutrients and energy from the food as it passes through your body.
If you’re like most people, you chew just enough naturally to where you can comfortably swallow your food – and you do it without even thinking about it.
Try chewing your food longer than that and notice how much more satisfied you feel.
Here are 5 reasons you should chew your food longer:
- You will enjoy your food a lot more and feel more satisfied.
- You will be able to absorb more nutrients and energy from your food – the smaller the food particles are, the easier it is for your body to digest.
- You will get a head start on digestion – chewing your food helps break down your food so your digestive tract doesn’t have to work as hard.
- You will control your portion sizes without even trying. People eat about 10% less when they eat more slowly.
- It’s good for your teeth and gums.
Slow your roll – chew your food – ENJOY!